COVID - 19 Lockdown Minus 1 - March 25 2019

We're all set, my bubble buddy and I - at least for the next few days. A trip to the supermarket yesterday morning allowed us to buy some perishables like bread and milk, and a couple of cakes of chocolate. Life has to offer some pleasures. We also managed to get three bars of soap. It set an alarm on the till just like alcohol. As there had been no signs up restricting numbers, I was allowed all three. Lining up at 7:30am was strange. We had a game plan and separate shopping lists to minimise our time in store. Only a few people were admitted at one time. I suspect, only one of us will be allowed in next time.

After rushing back home, I waited for my doctor's phone appointment. It was quick as I knew exactly what I wanted; an asthma preventer just in case. I was surprised to learn that I hadn't had one since 2014, and none regularly since 2009. Getting the actual medication was a little more of a challenge. After lunch, I decided to stroll up to the pharmacy, during my allotted walk. There was a scattering of people politely waiting outside the partially closed door. Of course, the pharmacist couldn't find the prescription. I wandered around to the doctors' and again was not allowed in. The receptionist with a clipboard confirmed that the pharmacy had collected the prescription, and medication was likely to be delivered. A little annoyed, I stomped off home and phoned only to be told that the prescription was found shortly after I had left. Returning to the pharmacy, I again had to queue and was allowed in to Paywave. What would we do without contactless payment!

Today has been unsurprisingly quiet, though we have had three visitors - a courier with home brew kits, our honey for the year and a second courier with Sam, the lorikeet's, food specially flown in from Auckland. On all occasions I stood at the window and gave the deliverer a thumbs up. On my afternoon walk I encountered a few people. There is a kind of dance involved in staying 2 metres apart. We're always tempted to talk. I commented to one man trimming his berm edges that never would houses be cleaner or gardens tidier. It was a pity that no visitor would get to see them.

At lunchtime a State of Emergency was declared. For us, it probably won't mean a lot and I'll be surprised if there is a greater or more noticeable police presence. The bubble buddy commented that the rules about walks and bike rides were unclear. How far away could you be from home? Could you drive to the beach? It's now been clarified. Cars can only be used to go to the supermarket or for medical appointments. It'll depend on how active BB feels if he wishes to cycle all the way to Kaiteriteri. There are also going to be further restrictions on returning New Zealanders. They will no longer be able to travel on domestic flights so well need to self-isolate at point of entry. There is also the possibility of enforced quarantine for anyone with symptoms. 

The next four weeks will be a journey none of us have ever undertaken.
He waka eke noa. A canoe which we are all in with no exceptions. We're all in this together.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

52 Ancestors Week 1 - Start: Mary Ann (Grey) Edwards, my great great grandmother

52 Ancestors - Week 14 - Maiden Aunt - Lydia Woolcock

52 Ancestors - Week 9 - Will - Hester (Lovell) Stanton